23 – 30 May, 30 May – 6 June
If you have always wanted to draw or paint, you can do so under the tutelage of Loreto Reilly, a fully qualified art and design teacher, with over 20 years professional experience, including 15 years running this course. Loreto is an adept and accomplished teacher as well as a successful Irish artist who exhibits regularly at home and abroad.
Loreto will host this year’s painting courses in the beautiful city of Taormina, Sicily. The location is set between the historic centre of Taormina and its beautiful beaches among the lush Mediterranean vegetation which surround the residence.
This spacious hillside residence is the perfect place to paint and relax. The extensive gardens are filled with sunshine but also with many areas shaded by the olive trees and mediterranean plants where you can sit and sketch, read or have a cool glass of wine. The pool is set in a picturesque spot overlooking the sea and Isola Bella.
The course is all about painting your own original landscape. Beginning with selecting a subject, learning how to make a preparatory sketch and then working that to a finished painting. Each step is demonstrated to the group and then developed through one to one tuition. Students are encouraged to work at their own level of art experience.
During the course of the week, you will sketch a number of subjects, often completing several paintings by the end. Following this course, whenever you encounter a striking subject, at home or while travelling, you will have the skills to sketch and paint it.
The group is kept to a maximum of ten, in order to ensure that every student receives the maximum assistance and encouragement from the tutor at all times. The synergy of working together with like minded people brings its own rewards, and many of our students have become close friends. Many people also return from year to year.
Among the painting and drawing media used during this course are graphite pencils, acrylics and watercolours if requested.
Most materials for painting and drawing are included. For list of things to bring click here…
All care is taken that your stay be an enjoyable experience while attending the course and this includes the accommodation.
The house, gardens, pool and many terraces of the house are open to all students and wifi is available throughout the building. Most rooms and apartments have a terrace with chairs and table from which there are sea or garden views.
Afternoon Time to Yourself
- Walk into the village and visit one of its cafe terraces or browse through some of the many shops with their variety of local crafts, from leather to ceramics, or in the evening enjoy the leisurely passeggiata when all locals stroll and chat.
- Take the stepped pathway down to the beach and enjoy a swim or a cool glass of prosecco
- Try one of the many picturesque walking routes in the local area or exploring scenery further afield, if car rental is chosen.
- Indulge in wine tasting in one of the local wineries.
- Take some time for personal painting development.
- Or simply relax in these beautiful surroundings and take a siesta by the pool
Car rental, shared or otherwise, is the ideal way to explore this fascinating area and is highly recommended. Information on alternative private transport can be provided.
Cost week 1 May 23-30
- Double Bedroom en suite shared €645, single use €805.
- Studio Apartment shared €680, single use €885.
- Two bedroom apartment shared €800.
- Non painting partners €300 reduction on above prices.
- 10% less for bookings before 29 February.
- Further discount for two week stay.
Cost week 2 May 30-June 6
- Double Bedroom en suite shared €715, single use €890.
- Studio Apartment shared €750, single use €980.
- Two bedroom apartment shared €885
- Non painting partner €300 reduction.
- 10% discount for bookings before 29 February
- Further discount for two week stay
What is Included
- Seven nights accommodation in one of the following :
- Double bedroom en suite
- One bedroom studio apartment, en suite with kitchen and seating area.
- Two bedroom studio, en suite with kitchen and seating area.
- Three and a half hours painting tuition each morning.
- Painting and drawing materials.
- Transport for group to Taormina centre for lunch or dinner each day.
Not Included in the Price
- Travel insurance, which is obligatory
- Cost of transport for optional afternoon trips
- Meals. Breakfast is optional and can be reserved. Cost €6 per day
Lunch/dinner can be arranged with residence, ordered from local restaurants, enjoyed in one of the many restaurants by the sea or town centre. Or you may wish to use the facilities to cook at your own apartment
To book today or for more information please contact Loreto
- Please read the Cancellation Policy here before booking.
23 – 30 May 2020
30 May – 6 June 2020
There are direct flights from Dublin to Catania with Aer Lingus, which is the nearest airport (66 km.). Fares at present start at €84.99 one way. Early flight booking is recommended to avail of low fares.
Residence Terra Rossa will provide a transfer from Catania airport to suit the flights to and from Dublin. Expect to pay €40 for the round trip. If you arrive at a different time you may make a private arrangement with the residence.
There is also a train service from Catania to Taormina.
Gloss Magazine July 2017
Photo Greek Theatre courtesy of www.taormina.it